Whereas PPE is worn to protect the wearer from the environment, cleanroom clothing is worn to protect the environment from the wearer. Humans are considered to be responsible for approximately 75% to 80% of all particles generated in a cleanroom. Staff training and a proper procedure on entering a cleanroom is therefore, essential.
Steps to take before entering a cleanroom.
- Wipe down anything that is required in the cleanroom before entering – Integrity Pre-saturated IPA Wipes are perfect for wiping any equipment down in or outside the cleanroom
- All personal items (jewellery, watches, lighters. cigarettes, etc.) should be stored in a personal locker outside the ante-room
- Personnel should not smoke or vape 30 minutes before entering
- Remove all make-up and /or other cosmetics
- Wash and dry hands thoroughly before entering the cleanroom
- Take three steps across Adhesive mats laid down outside the cleanroom changing area door to make sure any dirt or particles are removed from shoes or trollies going into the cleanroom
- Place a bouffant cap on and ensure all your hair is covered
- Put on beard snood (if required)
- Don your lab coat / coverall
- Pull on gloves -these should be over the cuff of your cleanroom garment -handle gloves by the cuffs only
- Sit on the step over bench and place one shoe cover over your shoes, move this leg over the bench to the “clean side”
- Put the other shoe cover on and move over to the “clean side”
- Check yourself in the mirror and ensure that everything is tucked in and fastened
You are now ready to enter the cleanroom.
Not all cleanrooms will follow this exact sequence but it does give you an idea of what is involved for employees entering a cleanroom. Each step gets the user “cleaner” without contaminating the next layer.
When leaving a cleanroom these steps are taken in opposite order and each layer is disposed of appropriately.
We supply cleanroom consumables to the pharma, medical, aerospace, automotive and electronic sectors. Contact us for more information on consumables for your cleanroom.